HIKING AND HAPPINESS GO HAND IN HAND.
Nestled in the Daniel Boone National Forest, Rowan County is a trail lover’s dream. We offer multipurpose trails for all abilities. Morehead is also the third certified Kentucky Trail Town! Whether you are looking for a relaxing afternoon hike or you are an experienced hiker wanting a challenge, there is a trail for you.
- The Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail runs right now Main Street. Stop for a cup of coffee, a power shake, or a meal or two. Learn more about this historic trail at https://www.sheltoweetrace.com/
- Downtown Walking Trail: The Downtown Walking Trail starts at the Morehead Visitors Center, travels 2.5 miles through downtown, Morehead State University and St. Claire Healthcare campus.
- Rodburn Hollow Park: Take advantage of this hidden park located within the city limits of Morehead at Rodburn Hollow Road. The park embraces a peaceful environment great for a morning hike, a peaceful lunch break or a hike after work. Few communities have such a unique feature with so many educational opportunities. meetings, receptions and more. Features include hiking trails, playground, picnic shelter, and ample parking.
- Limestone Knob: 1423 ft above sea level and the highest point in Rowan County. Take advantage of the Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail that leads you right to Limestone.
- Lockegee Rock: One of the most stunning views in the area is a 0.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clearfield, Kentucky that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate.
- Story Walk at Rodburn Hollow Park in partnership with the Rowan County Public Library: Read a story as you take a stroll in Morehead’s hidden park. The Story Walk is great for children and adults, too.
Looking for a steep climb or a relaxing, tree-lined path? Find it here. We’ve got 100+ miles of multi-purpose trails to explore throughout the Daniel Boone National Forest. Ride your bike for miles and smiles. Serenity awaits you on more than 30 trails for cycling in the Morehead area. Find a path for your level — we have many narrow and steep trails that add extra challenge to your adventure. Plus many roads less-traveled to enjoy in the Morehead area, roads where traffic is minimal and the sights are breathtaking.