Look what just opened!
Rowan County has a new railroad and history museum. Established in 2016, the museum is a combination railroad and general history museum of Morehead, Rowan County and Eastern Kentucky. From railroad artifacts from the six historic railroads which ran in Rowan County, to the infamous Rowan County Feud and devastating flash flood of 1939, the museum houses artifacts large and small.
Sit atop a 1947 Farmall tractor and have your picture taken. Visit the blacksmith shop and its collection of tools from a bygone era. Listen to a player piano belt out “The Old Piano Roll Blues”. Visit a real moonshine still taken in a raid and see how moonshine is made. Local Native American artifacts from arrowheads to stone tools are on display as well as a six-foot radio controlled model of the “Belle of Louisville” steamboat back when she was called the “Avalon”. An early motion picture projector called the “Cosmograph,” manufactured right here in Morehead, is in the museum as well as displays of early timber industry and home appliances from the “good old days”. Kids of all ages will enjoy the model train displays and working layouts plus our large screen theatre room where live presentations and videos are frequent additions.
Bus Tours & More
Each year the museum sponsors a five hour bus tour tracing the routes of the six railroads which ran in Rowan and neighboring Morgan County, and each fall the museum hosts its “Railroad Good Old Days Festival” with rides, games, live old time music and storytelling.
130 East First Street
(across from the Morehead Conference Center)
Thursday – Saturday
11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Or by appointment by calling
606-784-6039 or 606-784-5122